Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Flag Amendment

Today, the House passed an anti-flag burning amendment. It may not be the most popular sentiment, but this saddens me. I love this country, and personally respect our flag. I do not like the sight of our flag being burned. However, I must agree with the Supreme Court who declared that burning the flag in protest is protected free speech. We must guard our right to free expression, even though we find some expressions personally offensive. That's what free speech is all about. Isn't that part of what we're supposed to be fighting for and standing up for around the world? When a piece of cloth, symbolic though it may be, becomes more important than the Constitution and the civil liberties that are supposedly central to the American way, it's time to look at our priorities.

I hope that it does not pass in the Senate. I would urge everyone to contact their Senators and urge them to vote against this measure which would erode more of our civil rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?