Saturday, March 26, 2005

Why I am a Liberal

I mentioned in the first post that I am an unapologetic Liberal. Maybe we Liberals don't do enough to let people know why we have this point of view.

I am a Liberal because of my faith. I see the teachings of Jesus - the concern for the poor, the inclusiveness He practiced (such as with the Samaritan woman at the well), and his commandment to Love one another - as pointing in this direction. I am amazed that this Christian Liberal viewpoint is too often ignored today. Not all Christians are Conservative or Right wing, by any means.

I am a Liberal because of the heritage of leadership from people such as Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson, as well as other leaders such as Robert F. Kennedy, and the Rev. Martin L. King, Jr..

I am a Liberal because I believe Liberalism espouses programs more in line with the concerns of ordinary Americans - the middle class, working class, and working poor. I look at the policies put forth by the present administration and see mostly programs which benefit big business interests and the wealthy. While it is true that both sides are too dependent on special interests, I still feel Liberals offer more to ordinary citizens.

I am a Liberal because I see Conservatism too often associated with a repressive mode of thinking. I was really angered by the Republican campaign on "moral values". They seemed to only look at a few narrow aspects of morality - such as sexual morality - and tended to define things quite rigidly. I submit that there are other aspects to morality which I feel are more important when choosing leaders and making policies. Aren't there moral aspects to the decision to go to war and put American men and women at risk? Aren't there moral aspects to really supporting them with necessary equipment and good medical care here at home, should they need it? Aren't there moral aspects to economic policies? Aren't there moral aspects to respecting our civil liberties?

I am a Liberal because I truly do love this country, contrary to what some might suggest. I want this country to be great for all her citizens.

Blessings to all and a Happy and Blessed Easter to all who celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?