Saturday, July 16, 2005

Women's Health Alert

I was really shocked at this latest news concerning the birth control patch, Ortho Evra. Read about it here. I'm stunned that this is just coming out now. I don't understand why this didn't ring any warning bells earlier.

This, along with the problems with Vioxx, et al., cause me great concern. I wonder just how committed the FDA and these drug companies are to giving us SAFE as well as effective medications. I think we need more safeguards, more people not afraid to blow whistles - and better protection for whistle blowers. I know we want medicines for various purposes "yesterday"; but maybe we should slow down just a bit so that more problems don't occur in the long run.

In the meantime, I think I would advise women considering the patch to think twice. And advise any woman on it to consult with her doctor very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?