Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Troubling Alerts (Updated)

Greetings. readers Can you believe it's 2017?   I hope there ARE readers out there; please don't be shy ---- do comment!  

It's been hard to even know what to write these days as the news is way too often so bad.  That also just keeps one's mind and spirit troubled and concerned, so I really haven't been writing much lately, on my blog or with my poetry.  I am currently working on a new poem, however (for my long-threatened book) and seeing these stories prompted me to do this blog post.  Everyone should be aware of what's going on.  I often wish to shield myself as well, and yes, some psychological breaks aren't bad (such as watching a detective story, romantic comedy, just walking, listening to music, whatever helps reduce stress - at least temporarily).  But there is that need to know what is being done.

You all know that I am firmly with the water protectors/protesters against the DAPL  In a "Can you believe this?" story, it is reported that two surface-to-air missile launchers (yes, you read that correctly) have been deployed by the National Guard to a work site for this nefarious project.  They say they are totally unarmed and just for "observational purposes," but I'm not sure I would believe them.  Missile launchers to observe protesters?  What are we coming to?  Well, I certainly wouldn't just take their word that this is so innocuous.  No, I would not!  Consider also that there has been a bill introduced in the ND Legislature which would make running over a protester not necessarily an offense.  The bill states: "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a driver of a motor vehicle who unintentionally causes injury or death to an individual obstructing vehicular traffic on a public road, street, or highway, is not guilty of an offense."   One problem for sure is that it is highly unlikely that anyone would claim any "intent"  in such a case.  What a horrible bill.

In another alert, another "Can you believe this?" happening,  " !!!!!! " (Yup, I loathe even his name) International Hotel in DC has been banning journalists this Inauguration Week.  And that's not the kicker.  This hotel sits on FEDERAL land!  That's right, We're the landlords.  And what's more, it seems to be against the DC legal code.  What is going on when this nutjob and all are acting as though they're above the law?  I'm shaking my head and feeling such concern for our country now, our democracy, and our Planet.

UPDATE:

What is going on?  There are bills in several state legislatures that would be very chilling to protest and dissent.  Here is more about the one proposed in Indiana.  We must all be vigilant and fight against such threats to our civil liberties!

So please, if you find this post or any post here of value, do comment and/or share. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?